Here are some things Moms and Dads can do*:
- Tell your children you love them and will always love them. Tell them mom and dad will always take care of them.
- Mom and dad may not be married anymore, but they will always be your parents. Children do not end marriages, grownups do.
- Mom and dad each have a home. Tell your children they will have a place in mom’s home and dad’s home.
- Comfort your children. Tell them there will be happy times and sad times. Soon we all will be happier.
- Mom and dad are talking together about their love for you. Promise to tell the children the truth about what is happening.
- Tell your children that you want to know how they feel. Their feelings are important to mom and dad.
- Tell your children the truth. Be open and honest about changes in their life.
- Tell your children mom and dad will not leave them and stress that mom’s and dad’s need children too.
- Be clear about the divorce. children always hope their parents will be back together again.
- Hug your child. Use your actions and not only your words.
- Tell your children many times that you love them.
- Help your children to understand and try to make your own decisions.
- Crying for you and your children is O.K. When you are said, you cry.
- Do fun things together.
- Trust yourself. You can make it and so will your children.
*Adapted from Mom’s House, Dad’s House by Solina Ricci, p. 181.